Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Shoes and I - Rene Colato Lainez - Fabricio Vanden Broeck

My Shoes and I by Rene Colato Lainez illus. by Fabricio Vanden Broeck
Mario and his father are making their way to the U.S. from El Salvador. They will be reunited with Mario's mother. Mario is wearing new shoes that were sent by his mother. This is a look at their long journey through Mario's shoes.

Uno, dos, tres, my shoes and I are ready to go.
I say good-bye to my house in El Salvador.
I am sad to leave my friends.
But I am very happy because soon I will be with Mamá.
Papá opens the door.
Oh-oh! My hat flies in the air.It is a wind!
A strong, powerful,spinning wind!
Whooooooshoooh whoooooosh.
My feet push forward. The wind pushes them back.
My shoes become pushing shoes. We push and push like a pack of elephants

I love the rhythm of this visual story. "The trailer is flooded. My shoes become swimming shoes. We swim freely out of the trailer, like big sharks in the ocean"

Fabricio Vanden Broeck illustrations are beautiful and detailed. This would make a great read aloud.
Author interveiwed @ Latin Baby Book Club

No comments: